Saturday, February 27, 2010

Changes

Well February was a little bit busier than I thought it would be for a combination of reasons:

-a project at work got pushed back (in fact it is still not over, but it's like REALLY close to being done)
-I got picked up on a new project
-the Olympics

It's definitely good to be busy and have work, but it makes it hard to catch everyone up on life. And then the olympics...oh the olympics...I think I've watched WAY too much of it. We'll turn it on in the evenings to see what is on and then the BEST part of the night is during 10:00 pm to 11:00 pm.

It's been a really tiring last couple of weeks haha.

But, in the end, it was fun to watch all the exciting olympic sports. Although, I have to say the olympics have been a little sad...just that the luger died, that there have been lots of scary injuries and that the figure skater's mom died. It's just been a little traumatic and I've maybe teared up more than I thought I would. Oh and literally two seconds after that sentence was typed, the US hockey coach just got asked about how he is handling his son dying days before the opening ceremonies... :( :(

So in other news:

I'm going on a diet.

Like a for real diet.

I have a really good friend at work that decided to do Jenny Craig and she is really motivating me to get healthy. Every time we talk about it, she's got a lot of good advice she's learned and seeing her be successful, makes me want to work hard.

The reason I'm doing this is because I've gained weight steadily since beginning work and I want to be healthy. I'm not uncomfortable in my skin, especially with such a sweet husband who never makes me feel uncomfortable. But I am concerned about my heart and my body.

I talked to my doctor about exercising but because I have chronic mono (and a stressful job), she told me that I'm going to have to take it very slow. Like 15 minutes of exercise, 3 times a week, never consecutive days. I've started exercising, but I know that it will also take some focus on my dieting habits to be healthy too.

I'm kind of glad I can't exercise as much, because often times I use that as an excuse to eat things that are not good for my body, not fortified with vitamins or good for my heart, because I figure I'll just "work off" the fat.

That's not a good mindset...I really want to learn portion control and quality control with my food.

I would like to eat more natural foods with natural health benefits so that I won't have to worry about my heart down the road. I realize that all of the habits I'm creating now may not affect me currently, but WILL affect me then.

Having this extra weight has made me realize that I am really not healthy at all right now. I mean sometimes, I get winded going up two flights of stairs at church...that's just not good for someone my age.

I know that I have a pretty sedintary job, so it means that I have to be extra concerned about exercising and eating well.

SOOO all that to say...I'm starting my diet this week (tomorrow to be exact) and would really appreciate love and support and encouragement as this is going to be hard. I'm used to eating ice cream ever night and eating whenever and whatever I want. I need to learn discipline....aaaah.

But I am excited and I'm glad that I have a good friend at work and really great husband who has said if I want help, he'll do everything he can.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely understand about gaining weight since starting work full-time. I've noticed a change in my body and how it functions. One way that really seems to work to lose weight is Weight Watchers. My mom has had success with this program and I've even considered signing up for the online program.

    With Weight Watchers, it's all about the points. Different foods have different point values. Each person is given a certain number of points for each day. And surprisingly, the women who show the most success are the ones who use all of their points every day.

    For me, I don't want to deny my body things that it craves. It would just about make me crazy. BUT I do whole-heartedly believe in moderation. And, you could still eat ice cream - in moderation and within your points range.

    Maybe it's just another option for you to consider :) Glad you've decided to be healthier. It's a definitely a good goal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh i'm calling you. i've lost about 10 pounds in the past 2 weeks (not on purpose to lose that much weight, but mostly just eating better and working out...) and have i got something for you!

    ReplyDelete