This past week was amazing. Reed and I are so thankful that we have such an amazing family! We truly are blessed by the four days we had off for thanksgiving.
As far as what we did for Thanksgiving, we spent all day at Reed's parent's house :) It was a sweet time of helping to cook, sitting around the table visiting and, of course, watching football together. What's funny is, I didn't even know the Aggies were playing on Thursday...I guess I naturally assumed it would be on Friday like always...so yah, good thing everyone else was on top of things!
Friday we spent the day at Reed's parent's house again and just hung out with his family. We went to go see the Blindside and I LOVED IT! It was a beautiful story and whether or not all of the movie was "true", it was still inspirational. After the movie, Reed and I decided to cook for his family so that his mom could take the day off of cooking (since she had been cooking all day on thanksgiving day). Overall, I think they liked it :)
Now we're sitting here, getting ready for the week and I can't help but really related to Ecclesiastes 1...that every thing has it's time. Our pastor spoke this morning about all the "pleasures under the sun". This phrase is a favorite in the book of Ecclesiastes and it means all the earthly pleasures. I was humbled this morning when our pastor spoke of the praise and thanksgiving we can have of earthly things, that they are truly a gift from God, not something to say is wrong. Sometimes we as christians say if it isn't "all about God" its wrong. It's not wrong to enjoy vegging out with family and enjoying doing nothing together. What would be wrong is if we chose to make that our ultimate treasure...our ultimate treasure, that brings us everlasting joy, is Jesus. I also enjoyed the sermon this morning because he talked about the fact that the pleasures under the sun are good and we can enjoy them, but that we ought to know that they are fleeting and truly momentary. I feel that reality this Sunday evening. I mean, MAN, did I enjoy my thanksgiving week! But it's gone, it's fleeting, just as is every pleasure we have under the sun. That's not a depressing thing, because it reminds me that I shouldn't hold on too tightly to those things under the sun, but it's something I have to remind myself of often.
Okay, well I'm off to bed!
Amen! What a relaxing few days to get us refreshed for the coming week!!! We need more Thanksgiving breaks! :)
ReplyDelete