Reed here.
Anyone living in the Dallas area today will certainly attest to the fact that it has been raining cats and dogs ALL day today. I personally enjoy this weather, particularly when it is sandwiched in between lovely weather like we have been having recently. Its a nice little curve ball (I couldn't resist the sports analogy there, especially with the baseball playoffs in full swing).
The reason I am loathing walmart at present has to do with my umbrella. Jess and I went to walmart probably around a month ago now, because it was raining that day and we both needed new umbrellas. Normally we would go to Target for something like that, but we were on our way home, and there happens to be a super (yeah right) walmart close to our apartment. I only needed something small, and there were some ok looking ones for only $5, so I got one.
I got what I paid for.
I have used the infernal thing no more than 3 times now, and it is already starting to fall apart! I really wish more companies would take the time to make a lasting product. I guess I should also admit that I should be willing to pay a little more for the quality that I desire.
The whole thing just reminded me how disgusted I am that walmart has become an integral part of our society. To be honest I do admire them in a few, select ways. If you are out to simply make a profit, they have a rather remarkable business model. The fact that 3 members of the Walton family are among the 6 richest individuals in America attests to that. But the fact that they pressure their suppliers to produce items at as low a cost as possible leads to corners being skipped, or workers being unfairly treated, so that in turn leads to a drop off in quality. Walmart sells so many things that are really just pieces of junk, but because those pieces of junk are so cheap, people keep going back to buy the same junk over and over again. Even people like myself that despise the store buy things there from time to time, simply because of the price, and the "deal" we think we are getting. The brand of consumerism that they perpetuate sickens me, plain and simple.
The Wal-mart Effect, by Charles Fishman, far better articulates many of the points that I have inadequately tried to express.
Ok, now that I am finished with that rant, Jess is a little run down from work over the last few weeks and not feeling well as a result. Please pray for her, that her health would be good, and even more importantly that the Lord will continue to give her a good attitude towards her job so that she can bring Him glory. School is still going well, but I have definately reached the point where I am ready for the semester to be over. Hopefully I will still put a priority on studying and doing more than just "getting by".
Tuesday I went to Walmart b/c I had a gift card and I bought a vacuum...then Wednesday just b/c...I took it back. But then in the afternoon I had to go BACK to Walmart to get paint...barf...I hate Walmart and I think that's the most I've been there in like 3 years.
ReplyDeleteAmen to your post brother! :)
It's funny you say this. I did a price comparison between items at Wal-mart and HEB. SHOCKER! HEB was closer. (T)Here Everything'S Better.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I feel really out of the loop. I haven't read your blog in a while, but I like how easy it is to catch up on events in your life. I'm about to update my life...