Monday, May 3, 2010

Stuff

I am not the biggest fan of "stuff". I don't know why, but I'm not very sentimental. So I LOVE getting rid of it.

I must admit though, that I'm really lazy too. So a lot of times, I put off getting rid of the "stuff" I don't want to use anymore, not cause I want it or it's hard to give up, I just don't have to time to give it away.

I was reading this blog post by Heather Hendrick (read here) and it made me really count the cost of my laziness...her family was able to support a child in Africa for OVER A YEAR. All by getting rid of the stuff they NO LONGER USED. Not the stuff they still use, or want, like the stuff lower than that that they don't like.

Anyways, it made me realize that I need to follow those God-given ambitions to let go of the stuff!

One of the big things Reed and I have decided to give away is our china....

I know...crazy....BUT we really don't need to be china people. We can live with normal plates on special occassions and hopefully we can make it up to our guests in other ways so they know they are still special to us. We just figure we could give food to a kid who's hungry. The decision basically went like this through our heads...

Pretty dishes (REALLY pretty by the way) vs. Feed a human being

It really was no competition.

p.s. it was also kind of freeing and semi-addictive.

p.s.s. it was also really hard to make that decision about expensive things that people we love gave us as a gift. But I guess following God's path is going to be expensive and costly. We love our family and are SO grateful...like SOOO grateful they gave us those. We are blown away that we had nice china that we didn't have to buy ourselves! But in the end...it's just stuff...that will one day return to dust. Souls...they are here forever. So we're hoping to invest our money in those guys.

NOW, onto the challenge...Anyone have any idea where we could sell this never-been-used china (that is still in the box) and get what it's worth? We would like to maximize the amount we can give since it is worth a lot (at least I'm pretty sure). We would love ideas :)

1 comment:

  1. That is a really good idea, Jessica! I don't have any ideas of where to sell it though :(

    You're so right about Diet Dr Pepper..at one point a few years ago I did that and it started tasting less and less like a diet drink! Diet Coke, on the other hand, always tastes diety and gross to me.

    ReplyDelete