Monday, January 18, 2010

What do I know of Holy?

I'm sure a lot of us have heard this song before. And I'll be honest, when someone says that a song resounds with them, I find it hard to relate because really we're all at different places.

But, if you truly want to know where I am right now, spiritually, this song has struck a chord with my struggles over the past couple of months.

I've been struggling with feeling stressed, overwhelmed, purposeless, empty and just overall so dry.

Part of that is because I've been downright self-involved for a couple months. A lot of the reason for that is because I decided I could take on life on my own, with my type-A personality leading the way. All that did was fail, which lead me to my selfish moping and pity parties.

Granted, I really did struggle this past couple months...I seriously had no idea what to do with myself spiritually. I felt so disconnected. So hopeless at times.

Then over this past Sunday, I realized that I have no perspective of how MIGHTY God is and how much I can experience that MIGHTY and AWESOME God. That I look like an idiot when I put it all on myself, because I have a Savior willing to know me. It's like I don't understand how big Jesus is. Then when this song played on Sunday, I just realized how much I don't know Jesus right now. I know a lot about Him, but I've forgotten how much pleasure I got from getting to know Him better and better every day. That He is my strength, my delight, my passion.

All of the questions asked below in this song are questions I am seriously asking myself...What do I know of Holy?

If you haven't heard this song, I would recommend listening to it while reading it...I really can feel the desperation in the artists voice when it's sung...and it reflects my own heart's yearnings.

What do I know of Holy - Addison Road

I made You promises a thousand times
I tried to hear from Heaven
But I talked the whole time
I think I made You too small
I never feared You at all

If You touched my face would I know You?
Looked into my eyes could I behold You?

What do I know of You
Who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood
But the shore along Your ocean?
Are You fire? Are You fury?
Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?
What do I know? What do I know of Holy?

I guess I thought that I had figured You out
I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about
How You were mighty to save
Those were only empty words on a page
Then I caught a glimpse of who You might be
The slightest hint of You brought me down to my knees

What do I know of You
Who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood
But the shore along Your ocean?
Are You fire? Are You fury?Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?
What do I know? What do I know of Holy?

What do I know of Holy?
What do I know of wounds that will heal my shame?
And a God who gave life "its" name?
What do I know of Holy?
Of the One who the angels praise?
All creation knows Your name
On earth and heaven above
What do I know of this love?

What do I know of You
Who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood
But the shore along Your ocean?
Are You fire? Are You fury?Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?
What do I know? What do I know of Holy?
What do I know of Holy?
What do I know of Holy?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you like my daughter's song. Jenny has always had a desperate desire to KNOW God in real and intimate ways. It's so easy to "think" we do know God, until we see a clear glimpse of the Holy and suddenly we realize that Isaiah 55:8-9 is so very True!
    Grace,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment...It really encouraged me and was a cool surprise coming from someone so close to that song's inspiration. I've been truly blessed by the lyrics and the truth it speaks about our hearts cry to truly know Jesus.

    ReplyDelete